Start a new topic
Solved

Word running slowly - how do I fix?

There are many reasons why Word runs slowly - mostly due to tmp files left open when MS Word crashes.

These tmp files are part of MS Word's (and other applications) normal working operations.  When the application closes, the tmp files should be deleted.

When MS Word crashes, another application, or your whole PC, the open applications don't close down properly and their tmp files stay in the system.  The next time you run these applications the application looks for tmp files and finds these old ones, and spends time trying to work out what to do.  This slows you computer down. 

In MS Word's case, tmp files are often left behind from templates and documents that were active at the time of the crash, and when you open these documents again, they often will cause the document to crash again.

I personally delete these temp files whenever I see them unless they are related to an open document or active template.

The instructions below require you to be able to see Hidden Files and Folders. 

For instructions see Display Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Explorer

If you can't see the AppData (or Application Data) folder your hidden files are still hidden.

If MS Word is running slowly, Exit Word, and check your Templates and Startup folders for temp files.

1. Navigate to your Templates folder

Windows 7: c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Windows XP: c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

2. Check all the files and folders under Templates.

If any files that start with "~" or end with ".tmp" exist, delete them.  The date of these files will indicate when MS Word crashed.

3. Navigate to your Startup folder

Windows 7: c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Windows XP: c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

4. Check all the files and folders under Startup

If any files that start with "~" or end with ".tmp" exist, delete them.  The date of these files will indicate when MS Word crashed.

5. Check the folder where slow or crashing documents are stored

Usually when a document is open a tmp file will be left behind in the same folder location that the document was stored in.  These temp files can keep causing MS Word to crash when that document is open.

Sometimes the document has corrupted and will need to be rebuilt.

See this post for how to rebuild corrupt document:

Quick Solution for crashing documents - Rebuild a clean document

If your document continues to crash, send an email requesting assistance to APPS FOR OFFICE support

(we will be able to help you free of charge).

DO A GLOBAL COMPUTER CHECK AND CLEANUP

You can check for temp files across your entire computer by following the steps in this post:

Word is running slow - describes how to a search of your entire computer and find and delete tmp files

STILL HAVE PROBLEMS?

If you still have problems, see this post:

Word running slowly - how do I uninstall?

1 person has this problem
Login or Signup to post a comment