I can't see the edit/add text option when I am looking at a PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
This might be because the version you have is out of date. Try installing the latest version:
Summary: I updated the Adobe Acrobat application.
1. Go to www.adobe.com
2. Look for the download section (usually you can see as you scroll down the home page – yesterday it was on the right hand side of the screen)
3. Select Acrobat Reader – this will take you through to the Download page
4. Click Download – I always save the file to my Downloads folder (rather than Run from the website). I usually create a folder for Acrobat – so it’s easy to find.
5. Once complete, go to the Downloads folder on your PC, find the acrobat reader file you just installed
6. Double-click the installer file
7. Follow the prompts
Once installed, open a PDF file – the text editing options were restored. J